The Audioguide Munich is your personal tour guide, that describes twenty famous sights and works completely offline. It comes with human speech, GPS-Navigation, automatic sight recognition and tour-recommendations.
Who is on holiday in Bavaria, has to visit the capital Munich. Here one can marvel at a huge number of architectural and cultural places of interest. The Audio-City guide takes you to 20 of the most interesting places and describes their construction and history. Among the rest, you get to know the origin of the name Stachus, why it is always breezy around the Church of Our Lady and why the clock in the Isar gate runs backwards.
Lüke & Andres GbR
The Church of Our Lady is the landmark of Munich. It’s real name is „ cathedral to our dear woman“ and it is the church of the archbishop of Munich and Freising.
In 1583 the foundation-stone was laid for the Michael’s church. It was the first time, that a Renaissance church was built on the northern side of the Alps.
The civil hall, also called “civil hall church”, is the oratory and meeting hall of the congregation of men called “Mariä Verkündigung”.
Located on one of the places richest in traffic, the Karl’s place, there is the Karl’s gate. Exactly like the Sendlinger gate and the Isar gate it belongs to the former city fortification.
The Sendlinger gate is beside the Karl’s gate and the Isar gate one of three preserved gates of the former city fortification. A rest of the former city wall is still to be recognised.
The Asamchurch, with its official name Saint Johann Nepomuk, was established from 1733 to 1746 by the brothers Cosmas Damian and Egid Quirin Asam. Visiting the excessively equipped Asamchurch is a must for every tourist.
The lion’s tower on the cattle market was built in the 15. or 16 century and is 23 metres high.
Who searches the supposed origin of Munich, should visit the parish church Saint Peter.
In 1392 the master builder Gabriel Ridler completed the construction of the Catholic parish church of the Holy Ghost.
The old city hall at the Marienplatz, which today is used as a representation building by the city administration, accomodated the Munich town council till 1874.
In the middle of 18-th century room had become scarce in both existing city halls. Thus the architect Georg von Hauberisser was asked to build the new city hall on the Marienplatz.
The old court which was called earlier also old Veste, was from the 13-th till the 15-th century the residence of the ruling Wittelsbachers.
The Hofbräuhaus in the Old Town is a world-famous Munich beer palace and since its foundation in the possession of the Bavarian government.
The National Theatre is formed inside as well as outside according to the Old-Greek style.
From 1508 to 1918 the residence was used as city castle and government seat by the Bavarian dukes, electors and kings.
From 1841 to 1844 Frederick von Gärtner built the hall of military leaders called Feldherrnhall at the behest of king Ludwig the First in honour of the Bavarian army. It was modelled on the loggia dei Lanzi in Florence.
The Catholic collegiate church Saint Kajetan, also called Theatinerchurch, had a construction time of 102 years.
After the cemetery of the Church of Our Lady ran out of space, it had to be moved. Duke Albrecht the Wise instructed the construction of Saint Salvator as a cemetery church. In 1494 it was inaugurated.
After Sendlinger gate and Karl’s gate the Isar gate was built within the scope of the second city fortification in 1337 as the last city gate.
The victory gate is architecturally lined up between the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin and the Arch of Constantine in Rome.